Try out to become a summer 2022 NYC beach or outdoor pool lifeguard
Being a lifeguard is a rewarding and challenging job that requires split-second decision making and develops valuable skills that can last a lifetime. NYC Parks is looking for New Yorkers who have the physical and the mental discipline to become part of our team for Summer 2022. Qualifying exams have just been extended through February 26; sign up online today to take a qualifying test!
Lifeguards work five to six days each week and first-year lifeguards earn a minimum of $16 an hour, for a weekly salary of about $800. Each summer, Parks’ beaches open Memorial Day weekend, and outdoor pools open in late June; both close the Sunday after Labor Day.
All lifeguards are tested to meet the highest standards to ensure that they can keep New Yorkers safe. All potential lifeguards must pass the Lifeguard Qualifying Test, a series of vision and swim exams. To qualify, applicants must:
- Be at least 16 years of age by the start of employment.
- Have at least 20/30 vision in one eye and 20/40 in the other – without corrective lenses. Glasses and contact lenses may not be worn during the eye exam.
- Be able to swim 50 yards in 35 seconds or less, with proper form.
- Individuals must be vaccinated to take the qualifying test.
Here’s what job seekers can expect when they join the elite group of NYC Parks Lifeguards:
- Develop Job Skills: Learn valuable leadership and communication skills that will last a lifetime in any profession.
- Become Part of a Team: Make friends for a lifetime who are also committed to serving the public.
- Get Your Certification: Earn an NYC Parks lifeguard certification, and learn CPR, first-aid, and rescue techniques.
- Practice Your Swimming: Get access to all of our City’s indoor pools to strengthen swimming skills.
Once applicants pass the qualifying test, lifeguard training begins. During the 40-hour training, future lifeguards will further develop their swimming skills, learn life saving techniques, and receive their certification to become an NYC Lifeguard.
NYC Parks manages eight beaches and 53 outdoor pools citywide.