Teatro Grattacielo continues its 2022-23 Season with the grandeur of Spontini’s La Vestale starring Indra Thomas as Giulia, Thomas Kinch as Licinio and Tahanee Aluwihare as La Gran Vestale on October 28, 2023 at 6:30 pm at the Gerald Lynch Theater at John Jay College. This rare and captivating opera, paired with mesmerizing visual arts, promises an unforgettable evening that honors Maria Callas’ legacy and showcases the power of artistic collaboration. To purchase tickets, visit grattacielo.org/buy-tickets.
LA VESTALE holds a special place in the history of opera, as it was the opera that Maria Callas performed on Teatro Alla Scala’s opening night in 1954. To honor her legacy and contributions to the world of music, we are bringing back the historic 1954 version of this opera, directed by the celebrated Italian film director, Luchino Visconti. And in the spirit of pushing boundaries to creating a unique artistic experience, Teatro Grattacielo has decided to combine its world of opera with that of the visual arts. They will partner with visual artist Lydia Venieri who will create stunning tableaux that complement the opera’s themes and elevate the overall artistic experience, making this production of LA VESTALE an immersive and unforgettable event.
CHRISTIAN CAPOCACCIA | Conductor
STEFANOS KORONEOS | Director
JASON TRAMM | Chorus Master
LYDIA VENIERI | Multidisciplinary Artist | Sets and Costumes
INDRA THOMAS | Giulia
THOMAS KINCH | Licinio
TAHANEE ALUWIHARE | La Gran Vestale
KYLE OLIVER | Cinna
ERIC LINDSEY | Il Sommo Sacerdote
RICK AGSTER | Un Aruspice
HYUNSOON KIM | Un Console
The Teatro Grattacielo Orchestra
The project is under to auspices of Consulate General of Greece, New York.
About Teatro Grattacielo
Teatro Grattacielo was founded in 1995 in New York City with a mission to preserve and perform lesser-known Italian operas. Over the years, the organization has achieved numerous milestones that demonstrate its commitment to excellence in the arts.
One of Teatro Grattacielo’s most notable accomplishments is its successful production of rare and overlooked operatic works such as Mascagni’s Guglielmo Ratcliff, Il Piccolo Marat, and Iris, Montemezzi’s L’Amore dei Tre Re, L’Incantesimo, and Risurrezione, Zandonai’s Giulietta e Romeo as well as Giordano’s La Cena Delle Beffe . Through meticulous research and dedication to musical authenticity, the company has unearthed forgotten gems from the Italian operatic tradition and brought them to life on stage.
Additionally, Teatro Grattacielo has established itself as a leader in the opera community through its collaborations with internationally recognized artists and conductors. By fostering these relationships, the organization has been able to create world-class productions that are both artistically inspiring and technically impressive.
Overall, Teatro Grattacielo’s dedication to preserving and promoting Italian opera has made it one of the premier opera companies in the United States. Its commitment to excellence and authenticity has earned it the admiration of audiences, critics, and artists alike.
Since its new leadership in 2022, the company has accomplished the following:
1. Expanded repertoire- In addition to performing lesser-known Italian operas, Teatro Grattacielo has also performed works in other languages. Teatro Gratttacielo is about to commission it’s first opera in English.
2. International recognition- Teatro Grattacielo has gained a reputation outside of the US.
3. Collaborations- The company has collaborated with other arts and city organizations, including the Battery Park City Authority, Opera Hispanica, The Queens Symphony, Cultural and Conference Center of Crete, Lincoln sponsored The Festival of NY and Megaron Thessaloniki.
4. Educational programs- Teatro Grattacielo has a robust educational program that includes lectures, workshops, and masterclasses.
5. Innovations in performance- The company has experimented with multimedia and other interactive performance techniques to engage audiences in new ways.
For more information, visit grattacielo.org.