To Accommodate Work, Pedestrian Passageway Will be Closed Starting Feb. 27 Through Dec. 2023
Once Complete, the Pedestrian Passageway Connecting Sixth and Seventh Avenues Will Be Compliant with Americans With Disabilities Act
Pedestrian Passageway Improvements Part of Larger Accessibility Project at 14 St
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) today announced that construction is set to begin that will make the existing pedestrian passageway that connects Sixth and Seventh Avenues at 14 St accessible. A new ramp will be added to the west end of the pedestrian passageway, which connects subway riders to the 14 St 1, 2, 3 and 14 St F, M and 6 Av L stations. Crews will also install new lighting and ceramic wall tiles. Once work is completed the tunnel will be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
To safely accommodate the work taking place, the passageway will be closed starting Monday, Feb. 27, and is anticipated to reopen in December 2023. During the time the passageway is closed customers will be able to utilize a free out-of-system transfer between the two stations via OMNY or MetroCard.
More About Accessibility Improvements at 14 St
The work on the passageway is part of a larger accessibility project taking place at the 14 St station complex. When the entire project is complete the 14 St 1, 2, 3, 14 St F, M and 6 Av L stations will be fully accessible with newly installed elevators, refurbished staircases, mezzanines and platforms.
Once work is completed, customers will see the following improvements:
14 St 1, 2, 3
• Two mezzanine-level elevators, with one to the northbound platform and the other to the southbound platform.
• One street-level elevator stopping at the mezzanine level.
• One new staircase and refurbished staircases, mezzanine and platforms.
6 Av L / 14th St F, M
• Two street-level elevators located at 14th St northeast and northwest corners stopping at the mezzanine level where customers can access F, M platforms
• Two mezzanine level elevators for customers seeking to access the L platforms.