CHIME FOR CHANGE and KERING FOUNDATION combat gender-based violence during COVID-19 pandemic
Women and girls are disproportionately affected during times of crisis, and violence against women and girls has intensified since the COVID-19 outbreak. Building on Gucci’s longstanding commitment to gender equality, CHIME FOR CHANGE and the KERING FOUNDATION joined forces for #StandWithWomen, a campaign to expand funding for nonprofit organizations supporting women and girls worldwide and addressing gender-based violence. CHIME FOR CHANGE Co-Founder and KERING FOUNDATION Board Director Salma Hayek Pinault announced #StandWithWomen by calling for the community to take a symbolic “stand” with women around the world.
“We stand in solidarity with women everywhere because we cannot risk the progress we have made in the long fight for gender equality.”Salma Hayek Pinault
#StandWithWomen is the latest in a series of Gucci initiatives to combat COVID-19. Working on the frontlines in Brazil, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Mexico, the Middle East, North Africa, the United States and the United Kingdom, nonprofit partners include Chayn Italia, Equality Now, Global Fund for Women, Ms. Foundation for Women and Rosa Fund. Expanded funding from CHIME FOR CHANGE and the KERING FOUNDATION has helped these partners continue to mobilize for the safety, health and justice of all women, including women of color, transgender women, Indigenous women and disabled women, especially during this time of limited access to services and resources.
Key accomplishments made possible with #StandWithWomen funding include:
- Global Fund for Women: Mobilized resources to feminist funds and organizations including Fondo Semillas in Mexico, HER Fund in Hong Kong, Fondo ELAS in Brazil, and the Mediterranean Women’s Fund to strengthen networks and alliances among women, human rights defenders and activists to address increased gender-based violence and intensified gender inequities in the time of COVID-19.
- Equality Now: Hosted prominent activists from eight countries across the MENA region (Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia) for a virtual convening to address the current challenges facing women. Additionally, delivered a social media training for youth activists in Tripoli on storytelling and gender advocacy in the pandemic.
- Ms. Foundation for Women: Supported grassroots organizations in the United States including Black Youth Project 100, National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum, California Latinas for Reproductive Justice, El Pueblo, Inc., The Garment Worker Center, Trans Sistas of Color Project, and Women With a Vision to empower and assist women of color, who have been disproportionately impacted by domestic violence, economic hardship and additional restrictions on reproductive rights during the pandemic.
- Chayn Italia: Developing an online training series for local service providers to reach women experiencing gender-based violence, to be rolled out at women’s aid centers in seven regions of Italy in 2021.
- Rosa: Launched a COVID-19 response fund that awarded grants to 72 grassroots women’s organizations across the UK, such as Girldreamer, Sunbeams, Time to Heal and Angels of Hope, helping them to adapt their services during the crisis and meet the increased needs of women and girls.
To join #StandWithWomen and to directly contribute to the campaign’s nonprofit partners, visit globalgiving.org/standwithwomen.
You must log in to post a comment.